Pittsburgh, Jan 12-16 Boston, Jan 12-16 New York City, Jan 26-30 Denver, Feb 9-13

Copying Goals in Google Analytics: Our Firefox Extension

We’ve updated the GoalCopy extension for Firefox – read about the latest updates.

To stay informed of future updates to the GoalCopy Firefox extension, join this email list for a notification of when to update your extension.

Ever need 30 profiles, each with the same 4 goals? Me too. Unfortunately, Google Analytics doesn’t include an easy way to manage goals.

So, here’s the Firefox extension I created to speed up the process of copying goals. We’ll just call it “GoalCopy”.

What it doesGoal Form Fields

The Goal Copy extension records all of the values in a Google Analytics Goal Settings form. You can then navigate to another profile where you want to put that copied goal and paste all of those values into the new form. That way, you can get your goals from one profile to another without all the tedium.

When you install it, it will create a new toolbar with 4 sets of copy/paste buttons. Each set will copy and paste a different goal of your choice. The toolbar can be toggled on/off with View -> Toolbars -> GA GoalCopy

How to use it

1. After installation, navigate your Firefox browser to an existing Google Analytics Goal Settings form.

2. Click one of the four Copy Goal buttons on the Goal Copy toolbar.

GoalCopy Toolbar

3. The name of the Paste Goal button will change to show the name of the goal you copied. If the name of yourGoalCopy Paste Button goal was “Subscribe to Newsletter” then the Paste Goal button will display “Paste: Subscribe to Newsletter”

4. Go to another profile and navigate to a Goal Settings form page where you’d like to use your newly copied goal.

5. Click the Paste button to populate the new goal form with the values from copied goal.

6. Remember to scroll down and click “Save Changes” on the form.

That’s it. You now have your new profile ready to collect goal conversion data.

Notes

Buttons are grayed-out when not on a Goal Settings page.

There are 4 Slots to save goals in. Each set of Copy/Paste buttons uses its own slot.

Clicking Copy Goal again overwrites the previously saved goal for that slot.

Goals are saved persistently. Closing your browser does not erase your saved goals.

When clicking from a tab that is still Loading to a Goal Settings tab, the buttons will not re-enable properly from their grayed-out state – just click on a tab that is fully loaded (or blank) and then back to the Goal Settings tab to enable the buttons.

Requires Firefox 2.0.*

Thanks

Thanks to everyone who provided testing and feedback, including Jason Green here at LunaMetrics, Justin Cutroni at EpikOne, Shawn Purtell at ROI Revolution, and Mike Plummer at POP (sorry for not getting it out earlier that day, Mike).Install Dialog

Installation

Open this link in Firefox

Then click Install Now.

Depending on your setup, Firefox may want to download the file instead of installing it directly. Just select “Open With. . .” and choose Firefox from the list of applications.

Alternate Version

If you’re having problems with the toolbar being greyed-out on the ‘Edit Goals’ form page, try this version that never disables the toolbar buttons.

These changes have been incorporated into the latest version and are part of the goalcopy.xpi file.

-John Henson

113 Responses to “Copying Goals in Google Analytics: Our Firefox Extension”

Tim Leighton-Boyce says:

John, thank you very much for creating this.

Whenever I’m showing new people how to work with Google Analytics I try to encourage them to feel free to explore new ideas and test out new hunches by creating extra profiles. But the tedious work of duplicating goals and generally sorting out basic configuration is enough to make most novices reluctant to explore in that way.

I think that what seems to be a purely functional utility may have a knock on effect of encouraging people to do even more in the way of actual analysis.

Great stuff. Thank you again.

Tim

Sweet! A very valuable service for everyone!

Now if only I could ask for a small enhancement for future versions: If it notices that you have no goals set up in Google Analytics then it sends the Site Owner a small tiny electric shock, or atleast a guilty pang!

I am constantly surprised by how few people have goals set up in their Analytics tool, and there is nothing else that can bring focus and value to your analytics exercise like setting proper goals.

-Avinash.

Thanks for that John, it is a really amazing (and very actionable) tool!

Great job John! It’s simple to use and works every time. A fantastic time-saver.

Justin

John says:

Everyone: Thanks for the feedback. It really makes the difference.

Avinash: Due to legal ramifications I will not be able to implement the kaushikShockTreatment(); function. However, whenever the extension finds a profile without goals, it will now call the sendEmailToAvinash(); function !!

Aaron King says:

Excellent work John, and THANK YOU!

This will surely make my life easier as I increase my usage of GA.

It would be nice to take this project further. I wonder what the Open Source community would think of making a Google Analytics toolbar? The toolbar could have a dual role:

1. Provide useful tools for managing GA profiles
– clone profile
– “record” Goal Path
– etc

2. Provide absolute high-level snapshots right in the browser toolbar (# Visits today, # Goals Completed, Bounce Rate, etc etc)

I probably just gave away someone’s trade secrets. But… if there is support for this, I’m game to get involved in making it happen. Email me!

Aaron

Aaron King says:

GAT – Google Analytics Toolbar

:-)

tom says:

The buttons are greyed out on the goals page. Please fix.

Looking forward to using this useful utility.

Cheers!

Tom

Tom,

If this happens to you, try switching to a fully loaded tab, and switching back to the tab with the goal form loaded.

Sorry about the inconvenience this creates.

John

Duong says:

Hi,
I have a same problem. Buttons are greyed out. I’ve tried switching tabs and it doesnt work. Any other fix?
Thanks.
Duong

Duong,

You must be on a Goal Settings page to use the buttons. This is the page that has the form fields into which you enter the URLs for your goal and funnel steps.

The First and Third images in the post above show this page.

Duong says:

John,
I am in the Goal Setting page when using your tool, it doesnt work. I can send you the screen shots. I have other firefox plugins, would this conflict?
Thanks

John says:

I don’t disbelieve you, Duong.

Are you using Firefox version 2 or higher? I’m using some functions that are not available in Firefox 1.5.

You can email me a screenshot at

lunametrics.com, henson@

Awwad says:

thanks for the very useful tool, but it doesn’t work with me buttons are grayed,
I’m using Firefox 2.0.0.11 and using some tool bars (“web developer tool bar”, “Keyword Generator”)
could those tool bars makes any conflicts.

finally I’ve tried all the tricks mentioned above but didn’t worked too :(

thanks again.

John says:

I have added a version of GoalCopy that never disables the toolbar for anyone having problems.

It is at http://www.lunametrics.com/goalcopy/goalcopy-nogrey.xpi

Duong says:

Awesome! It works Great! Thanks for the fix.

[…] Copying Goals in Google Analytics (A Firefox Extension) -Masz stronÄ™ internetowÄ… z zainstalowanym kodem Google Analytics, dla której stworzyÅ‚eÅ› wiele profili i musisz mozolnie kopiować ustawienia celu dla każdego profilu? Skorzystaj wówczas z wtyczki do Firefox opisanej w powyższym poÅ›cie. Dużo szybciej i sprawniej od manualnego kopiowania. […]

Brad says:

Thanks for the great extension! A real time saver!!

mike says:

John,

No idea if this is of any use to you… of anyone else for that matter.
Would it be possible to create a 2nd part to this toolbar – to create the goal in the first place

So I can walk through the site’s sales process
& click a button on each page as I go through

the toolbar would remember all the URLs, parse out any ireelevant variables AND figure out that the last URL was the thankyou page & make it the target for the goal.

It would then allow me to paste all those URLs into the Goals page with 1 click & prompt me for a goal value.

whatdoya think? any use at all? too complicated? only 3 people in the world that would use it?

cheers,
mike

Mike,

That’s a really interesting idea. It’s certainly possible to capture the URL. Removing the irrelevant parameters would be difficult since that would be so open ended, but with some arbitrary decision making you might get something that would be what you wanted most of the time.

It wouldn’t work for funnels with regular expressions, or non-URL based steps ofcourse.

Anyway, I don’t think it is something I’d want to tackle myself, but it’s definitely an interesting problem.

Mike Plummer says:

Thanks so much for this John. Your tool has already saved me about 10 hours of my life and a year worth of carpal tunnel.

I guess I can stop bugging Google for the goal manager interface now :)

Mike

Thanks Mike.

I told people here that it was my aversion to carpal tunnel surgery that was my inspiration.

Olivier says:

Hello,
thanks a lot for the tool ! It works great (after installing the alternate version)
I ow you a lot of time :)

Christophe says:

Excellent FF extension!
Do you plan on upgrading it for FF 3.0 (GranParadiso)?

BJ Wright says:

Awesome tool, I just wish I had found this a few months ago :( I did an install and already worth its weight in gold.

Thanks,

BJ

Christophe,

It should only require updating the maxversion from 2.0.0.* to 3.0.*

I haven’t seen any changes so far that affect it.

I probably won’t make that change until everything is final with FF3

John

[…] Une extension Firefox pour copier coller les objectifs Cette extension vous permet de garder en mémoire dans Firefox le paramétrage de 4 objectifs et de les recopier dans d’autres profils ou d’autres comptes. Ultra pratique pour les utilisateurs qui gèrent un grand nombre d’objectifs avec des étapes intermédiaires. […]

Chris Goward says:

Nice tool, thanks John.

Feature request:
It would be great if it could also copy IP filters!

Nice Work! Thanks very much. Super useful. I love finding time savers.

@Chris Goward: Filters are automatically saved for you in GA. When you click “Add Filter to Profile,” check the radio button that says “Apply Existing Filter” and you will be given a list of previously used filters. Of course, those filters have to exist for that analytics account. Hope that helps.

Rebecca says:

Yea! It worked! Thanks! I did have to install the “never greyed out version”.

What about Firefox 3.x?

John says:

I have made a couple changes that should take care of it operating in FF3. I haven’t had time to test it completely. I’ll try to get to that this week, though, and see if I can post an updated .xpi file.

[…] what I’m talking about. So for those who are going “what the heck is he talking about?”, the Goal Copy Firefox extension can be used to copy goals between profiles in Google Analytics. Take a look at my previous posts if […]

[…] It takes the pain out of copying goals to lots of profiles. You can read more about it in this blog post form […]

[…] Se det oprindelige indlæg om Goal Copy fra LunaMetrics These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages. […]

Sharron says:

Hi,

I’m having problems downloading this extension. When I click on the ‘Open this link in Firefox’ above I get a page of….
PK??????O4|E????{?????build.sh?WmsG????????];?&?d???(d?.u$h??????,???

Any ideas what the problem is?

thanks

John says:

It may have to do with how your Firefox browser is configured to handle .xpi files.

Try right clicking on the link and selecting ‘save link as’. Save the file to your computer, then drag the file onto the display area of your Firefox browser. This should prompt you to install the extension.

Mike Plummer says:

Hey John,

With the latest version, I’m able to copy goals in firefox 3 but not paste them. Another colleague is able to paste only the top portion of the goal, but not the funnel steps. Perhaps this is related to the inconsistent html problem you mentioned earlier?

-Mike

John says:

Try getting the updated ‘international’ version from http://blog.iih.dk/goal-copy-extension-international/

Anders Moller updated it for the HTML that he was pulling in Denmark.

If that does not work, go to the Goal Form page, and email me the HTML source that you have.

John says:

Actually, I went ahead and uploaded Anders’ version to the lunametrics site. So you can get it from the link in this post as well.

Let me know if you still have problems.

Simon says:

Great add-on !
Thanks a million : Jesus and I we love you

Awesome concept, and I would love to use it, but it doesn’t seem to be “pasting” in FF3. Has anyone else had issues with it “pasting” the goals into the blank fields?

Woops, looks like I was just on the wrong page.

Might want to update this page with a new link because this page comes up higher in the search results :)

John Henson says:

Jonathan,

Can you go to your goal page in GA, in the browser you are trying to use, and Copy and Paste the Source HTML into an email for me?

You can email it to my last name at lunametrics.com

Thanks

Amit ohayon says:

This is sweet.
Thank you so much.

[…] Copying Goals in GA (A Firefox Extension) […]

Bfri says:

This is really a great extension and can be a huge time saver. :) I just came about a problem that was already mentioned in the comments: Pasting of goals no longer works.

Thanks to John for the hint to install Firefox Portable on my computer. This allow you to run a fresh FF installation without affecting your previous installation. Then I installed all my extensions and Greasemonkey scripts one by one. Finally I found the extension that does not work together with this extension:

If this extension is installed (no matter of enabled or disabled) I can no longer paste goals into the Google Analytics goal page. So if you have a similar problem you might want to check if you have the SEO for Firefox extension installed. So I found the problem but haven’t got a solution to run both extensions together. If you know something let me know. :)

John Henson says:

Bfri

Wow. Huge thanks to you for posting that information.

I confirmed what Bfri found. When I turn off SEO for Firefox, the pasting of goals works. With Firefox’s ability to restore your sessions, this is not a hassle if you are not creating a lot of separate profiles. For those of you who live on the service side and are creating profiles all the time, I feel your pain.

Don

Mike Plummer says:

I’ve also confirmed that my problem was due to SEO for Firefox. Glad I checked back in!

Bfri says:

Don, Mike, thank you for your confirmation. Glad that I could help you, too.

Jabi says:

Simply perfect, thank you!

Niels Koning says:

Hi John,

First of all: Great tool!

Second: Could you adjust this tool (or know a tool) so we can copy filters from account to account. This isn’t possible atm but we have over 50 accuonts who all need the same filters!

Greetings,

Niels

John Henson says:

A similar method could probably be used to copy filters.

Alternatively one could use something like iMacros to implement something reasonably quickly. I have used iMacros in the past to do similar things. But not recently.

With multiple filters on 50 accounts, it may be worth looking into.

[…] Goal Copy Dieses Plugin erlaubt es Einstellungen eine GA Accounts in ein anderes Profil zu kopieren. […]

[…] Firefox, and install the Goal Copy Plug-in. (Note: There are some SEO plug-ins that cause conflicts with Goal Copy. If you are having issues […]

Alex says:

Thank you so much for this — just saved me a whole pile of time.

Much appreciated.

Patrick says:

I learned about this great tool from another blog and I immediately installed it. However, unfortunately it does not seem to work. Could this have to do with the fact that I am using Firefox 3.0?

Would love to hear when you will release an update of this tool for FireFox 3.0!

John Henson says:

Patrick

It does work with FF3.

If you have SEO for Firefox extension, try disabling it.

If you don’t have that extension, there may be another conflict with a different extension. You can try disabling other extensions until you find the conflict, or try downloading Firefox Portable. Install Goal Copy into Firefox Portable and use that for Copying Goals.

Jen says:

Great idea, sadly I only just now came across it and all FF types – both portable and installed are now 3.5.

Look forward to having and update as it will save me many hours work.

Thanks!

[…] You can find John’s original article for details and instructions here. […]

[…] (If you don’t know what this is, check here) […]

[…] les choses. Il y a pourtant une demande explicite pour cette fonctionnalité, comme le prouve l’extension Firefox « Goals Copy » créée par […]

[…] dover rifare tutto daccapo. Mancano i goal, ma a quello ha pensato Lunametrics, con una intera estensione per Firefox e relativa […]

Marc says:

When will this extension be upgraded so that it will work again with FF. I badley need it.

It should already work.

I’ve been using it.

What version of Firefox are you using?

If you are having problems, try installing it to a earlier version of Firefox Portable. This way, it doesn’t impact your current Firefox installation.

I have been using copy goals in Google Analytics, and it is a really true life saver. Today, I am configuring various profiles based on the country / language of the visitor, and needs to setup automatic email reports for each of these profiles. Does anyone know about such a firefox plugin, or a greasemonkey script?

Thanks in advance,
Jean-Michel Fontaine

Nils Berge says:

Thanks for a great time-saving extension.
Can you add it to the Mozilla Add-ons site? – https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

jw says:

Great extension, thanks. However is it just me or did Google just this afternoon do an update to the UI of the goal settings page??
Joe

John says:

Over the next 3 weeks they will be rolling out the interface changes in the goals.

The Goal Copy extension will not work with the new interface, however, I’m going to look into updating it for the new interface if I can. It might be a couple weeks though.

John

Josh says:

Hi John,
A very useful extension, especially now that there are more than four goals. I hope that there’s an update for the new version. Looking forward to using this.

Josh

[…] Luna Metrics – GA Plugin for Copying Goals & Filters Across Multiple Profiles: If you’re a GA user and you have to set up 20 profiles with the exact same goals, the Luna Metrics plugin is a great time saver. […]

Jens says:

In FF 3.5 I encountered the problem that I could copy goals, but not paste them, so I figured it must have something to do with the JavaScript used by the script.

I changed the function name for the pasting of goals from “doLoad” to “doGCLoad” and it worked. It seems doLoad is a function name used by many extensions which may lead to conflicts.
Perhaps you could change the function names in further releases to avoid this.

Now I’m trying to find out why it won’t copy my funnels …

[…] has it’s fair share of great linkbait, but their new Twitter aggregation is also intriguing.Luna Metrics – GA Plugin for Copying Goals & Filters Across Multiple Profiles: If you’re a GA user and you have to set up 20 profiles with the exact same goals, the Luna […]

John says:

Jens: Thanks, I will make that change.

John

[…] Goal Copy : une extension pour copier les objectifs dans Google Analytics […]

Mark says:

Great tool!

Are there any plans for making it available in Chrome?

Mark

Alex says:

it’s not compatible with FireFox 3.6 – when will this be supported?

[…] Goal Copy allows you to copy one set of configured goals over to another profile, and even a profile in another Google Analytics account. Useful when creating multiple carbon copies of profiles, for example, a profile for U.S. visitors separate from U.K. visitors: http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2008/01/21/copying-goals-in-google-analytics-a-firefox-extension/ […]

Wowww this tools is very useful! Thanks!!

This days, i m going to re-design the goals on some websites.

Rick says:

This tool has been very useful in our work since we heard about it a few months back. Unfortunately, it’s incompatible with Firefox 3.6. Any idea when, and if, an updated version will be released?

[…] Goal copy Goal copy is een Firefox extensie waarmee je eenvoudig doelen kunt kopiëren naar een ander profiel. http://www.lunametrics.com […]

[…] an be monotonous. So depending on how many profiles you’re creating, using LunaMetrics’ goal copying Firefox plugin might save you some […]

Rob says:

This GA tool is great. It’s a shame I was doing this manual for so long.

John Doe says:

I have to try this tool. Looks very useful.

[…] Goal Copy- Very handy when you need to copy any goal from one profile to another. You can also copy from one slot to another then modify. […]

A great google analytics plug in for copying goals. I am in the middle of creating 40+ profiles in one account, all with five identical goals with regex. This has saved lots of time!

Beatrice says:

unable to install goal copy on firefox 4.0. any idea why?

Will you be updating Goal Copy for Firefox 4? If not will you put the source code in a public repository like GitHub so that it can be further developed?

Robbin Steif Robbin says:

We *will* be updating it, but probably not for a couple of weeks.

Robbin Steif Robbin says:

Beatrice, it will be updated soon

Such extensions are great because they help provide a little work, thanks for sharing this good information

[…] -Goal Copy- Copy any goals from one profile to another. […]

Chuck says:

FF6 support?

The ‘Required step’ checkbox doesn’t seem to copy. Other than that, great plugin.

Carl Larson says:

Support for Chrome coming soon?

Matt Trimmer says:

Any plans to make this available for the new version?

Robbin Steif Robbin Steif says:

Hi Matt — yes, but I don’t know the schedule. I wish I knew why Mozilla felt that they had to update every week. I think we started this year at FF3. I suppose it is competition from Chrome…. In any case, it is the constant updating of FF that makes this so hard. Robbin

Tom Fox says:

Excellent extension.

Adrien says:

Does this extension still work ? I tried on FF 13.0.1 but it doesn’t seem to work.

autonomy says:

hi!,I like your writing very much! share we keep in touch extra about your post
on AOL? I require a specialist on this area to unravel my problem.
May be that’s you! Having a look ahead to look you.

The latest clash occurred in Hotan Prefecture, in the southern part of Xinjiang, whose population is predominantly Uighur. The Uighurs are a Turkic-speaking group sharing many affinities with people across Central Asia, and most follow relatively moderate forms of Sunni Islam. Many Uighurs resent the growing number of Han Chinese people, who have been attracted to Xinjiang by jobs in farming, energy production and mining.

Sandeep says:

The extension is not working now. Is this because of new dashboard layout of Google Analytics?

It would be great if you can make a check and let me know. Thanks