Pittsburgh, Jan 12-16 Boston, Jan 12-16 New York City, Jan 26-30 Denver, Feb 9-13

INFOGRAPHIC: The Ultimate Complete Final Social Media Sizing Cheat Sheet

In June of this year, we published an infographic listing all of the sizing information for images on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Pinterest. It was a wildly successful piece of content, totally blowing our expectations out of the water. Unfortunately, while its popularity has flourished, nearly every social network instituted changes to their image sizes, rendering most of the information on the infographic out of date.

We knew we needed to update the information on the cheat sheet, but we weren’t comfortable with simply adjusting one or two figures on the blog post and leaving it as-is. We’d also received a lot of feedback, both on the design and information it contained. We decided to redesign the entire sheet and incorporate a few more social networks.

We also decided to permanently redirect the old sheet here, so that shared tweets, pins, likes, and so on, would lead to the correct sizing dimensions. Additionally, as sizing changes are implemented across social networks, we’ll actively update this sheet – meaning that if you use the embed code at the bottom to share this sheet on your own site, the image will automatically update with changes as they are rolled out. No more out-of-date information.

So, without further ado, here it is – the ultimate, complete, final social media sizing cheat sheet. As before, you can find a simple text list of the pixel dimensions at the bottom. Save this sucker on your hard drive and never Google ‘Facebook cover photo size’ again.

The Ultimate Complete Final Social Media Sizing Cheat Sheet by LunaMetrics

Brought to you by the LunaMetrics blog.

Embed the cheat sheet on your own blog or site using the embed code below!

Facebook
Timeline
Profile Picture 160 x 160 px Must be uploaded at least 180 x 180 px
Cover Photo 851 x 315 px
About Us 255 Characters
App Preview Image 111 x 74 px
Total Length of Apps bar (including gaps) 350 px
Timeline Profile Picture 32 x 32 px
Shared Image 403 x 403 px Photos can be viewed up to 960 x 720 px in the lightbox and expanded up to 2048 x 2048 px.
Shared Facebook Video 403 x 226
Status Update 63,206 characters
Shared Link Preview 156 x 116 px Editable, can be set with the og:type meta property
Shared Link Title Tag Up to 100 characters Editable, can be set with og:title meta property
Shared Link Metadescription Varies based on available room
Highlighted Post or Milestone 843 x 403 px
Highlighted Video Post or Milestone 843 x 475 px
News feed
News feed profile picture 50 x 50 px
News Feed Status update Up to 5 lines of text before Facebook truncates & appends ‘See More’ at the first break after the fifth
Shared Image Landscape 398 x 296 px
URL Ad Copy 90 Characters
Page Ad Profile Picture 50 x 50 px
Page Ad Title Page Name
Page Ad Copy 90 Characters
Page Post Ad Profile Picture 32 x 32 px
Page Post Ad Title Page Name
Page Post Ad Copy First 90 characters of selected post First 120 characters if post is text-only
Page Post Ad Image 90 x 118 px
Branded Channel
Content Container 970 px wide
Mappable Header 970 x 150 px Can map links off of YouTube
Profile Picture 55 x 55 px
Featured Video 640 x 390 px
Video Thumbnail 288 x 162 px
YouTube Brand Channel Background Size 90% of users see 8 px on either side of the content container Up to 1 mb in size
67% see 136 px
43% see 180 px
21% see 216 px
Video
Title Up to 100 characters
User Banner Up to 170 x 25 px
Video Preview 640 x 390 px
Description Up to 5000 characters
Tags Up to 500 characters Hidden, can be found in page source under “meta:keywords”
Recommended Playlist Details Playlist Title
Recommended Playlist Large Thumbnail 120 x 67 px
Recommeded Playlist Small Thumbnail 40 x 25 px
Recommended Video Details Video Title, Author, and Views
Recommended Video Thumbnail 120 x 67 px
LinkedIn
Overview
Horizontal Logo 100 x 60 px
Cover Photo 646 x 220 px
Company Square Logo 50 x 50 px
Company Comment Logo 30 x 30 px
Shared Link Thumbnail 180 x 110 px
Shared Link Details Shared Link Title and up to 230 characters of description. The description is editable.
Careers
Profile Picture 32 x 32 px
Pin Image Preview 192 x scaled height
Pin on board 222 x scaled height
Pin
Profile Picture 49 x 49 px
Pin 600 x infinity

Are there any more social networks you’d like to get sizing information on? Would you like an embed code for the table above as well as the image? Like the new design? Let us know your thoughts in our comments below.

Is the student ready to be a teacher? Take a look at our social media and let us know what you think. We are always looking to make our profiles a little sharper, savvier and more user friendly.

293 Responses to “INFOGRAPHIC: The Ultimate Complete Final Social Media Sizing Cheat Sheet”

Joe Rinehart says:

What can I say that hasn’t been said already? This is simply one of the best articles on the ‘net that covers not only the details of social media images, but also the gaps, and the number of characters of available text areas! Well done & Thank you very much!

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

Jennifer Coles says:

Hi,

Do you have dimensions for the new Facebook design please?

Thanks!

Hey Jennifer,

Not yet! Still haven’t gotten the new design. Still haven’t even gotten GraphSearch!

For now, I wouldn’t worry too much – they made it very clear that this is a slow, deliberate rollout, so most likely the vast majority of users are still seeing the old dimensions.

Best,
Dan

Hey Courtney,

Noted! I’ll try and fit those into the next revision. Should be coming soon, but I’m holding out to see if I get Facebooks news newsfeed/timeline design first.

Best,
Dan

Wonderful points altogether, you just received a emblem new reader. What might you recommend in regards to your submit that you made a few days ago? Any positive?

Ricky Kaltan says:

Guys not to be rude but your article is full of mistakes. G+ sizing is all wrong for example. I suggest you test on more devices as it’s misleading and confusing. Thanks anyway – it’s still a big effort to do this!

Pam Dyer says:

Great info! Is there an ETA for revising this graphic to reflect dimension changes? I have it embedded in a blog post, and some of my readers are wondering when it will be updated.

Thanks!

Beth says:

Awesome thankyou so much..!

thought I was special with a macaroni bracelet my 6 year old boy made for me, I pray that one day he too will design a bag just for me! The effortless satchel is much

Maria Flynn says:

thank you so very much for this – immensely helpful

alice says:

Please update to include new Google+ cover photo and logo!

Rob says:

LIFESAVER! Thank you so much!

Adrian Ulise says:

This is really awesome, i love it! It is by far the most complete and specific infografic i saw in this area!
Everithing looks so well documented, you must did some really deep search!!!
Great effort, nice result, congrats!

Amanda says:

Excellent resource. I think Google+ just updated their header again though, it’s HUGE.

Great resource! So helpful! Thank you so much! Cheers..

Many thanks for writing this beneficial submit..Cherished your articles. Please do always keep writing Alternatives to Google search engine http://asdasgh333dsdfs5hf.com

carswell says:

I would pay you if I had some money!

Sar Ah says:

What about Instagram??

Yes, please – I’d like an embed code for the table. Thanks. Sharing with all my readers.

Brian Forbes Colgate says:

There seems to be a maximum size that FB will accept as a Profile picture. A friend’s new Profile is chopped on all sides. When I open it the full image size is 510×510, but the amount that is showing is from a crop to approx. 437×437 of the original image, and only that portion shown in the 160×160 format. It has been cropped equally on all sides.

So my question is, what is the maximum image size [square] that will be accepted by FB and posted uncropped?

Thanks,
Brian

Jami Ryan says:

Dan,

Great article and content. Have bookmarked and will be using as a reference from here on out for my website.

Thanks!

AWESOME!!!! I’m going to spread your genius far and wide! This is such a useful post! At least once a week I search for facebook cover size because I just can’t fathom that its 351 px!?!?! Really? Anyway, thanks for such a comprehensive resource.

John Cassidy says:

This is Awesome and extremely useful for somebody like me who specialises in creating headshots for social media profiles

Dara says:

Fantastic tool! super handy :) But This needs to be updated to reflect recent changes.

Hey Dara,

Got any specific changes you were looking for? We try to keep it up to date as possible.

Best
Dan

Amy says:

This is fantastic – I’ve book marked it and am sure to use it daily! Thank youuuu!

Chris says:

Dan, amazing information! Thank you so much for taking the time to do so. Any way to put this in a downloadable PDF?

Matt says:

Dude, this list is super handy, thank you so much, very much appreciated!

Lasse says:

Super :-), thanks.

Mike Tillman says:

Thanks for the graphic. I have a few different ones for different sites stuck to the wall in my office. Nice to have it all in one spot now.

Social Media Management says:

Dan Wilkerson Awesome the measurement graphics for social media. You really rocking bcz still so many peoples confuse about measurement only. I think more and more useful for B2B Marketers.

Be Interesting… Waiting your next awesome like this post.

No problem Matt! Glad you found it useful.

Dan

Liz stahl says:

can you please add tumblr?

Thanks, very interesting for us here in europe.

stefanos says:

You could also tell us for the right dimensions in blogger please!

bluesbrush says:

The only problem I see here is the use of the word “final” in the document title :) “new” and “final” are two words that have no place in document titles, though I admit… I occasionally try to force a project into completion by adding the word final into a file before sending to a client. Thanks for the great resource!

Joanna says:

Dan, I appreciate your huge work. I was so frustrated by trying to make each of the pictures separately that I decided to develop Photoshop add-on for this task to save a lot of time in the future. Now I am designing only two basic images and the rest is updated automatically. I have released the add-on to the public as Social Media Profiles Generator: http://bit.ly/10cDiFs I hope you will find it useful.

Danielle says:

Hey, facebook have changed their layout, have you got the new dimensions for the cover and profile picture? It really should be given on facebook!

Lhall says:

I know this is mostly for business but I also do a lot of Linkedin Profile art. It would be useful to add a image information for Linkedin’s Profile images as well.

Eric says:

Hi, thanks so much for putting this up, thumpin’ useful– are the dimensions any different for any of these when viewing on a mobile browser? They seem to be slightly different to me, but perhaps not…

OwsWills says:

LOVE THIS!

But – the Twitter profile picture sizing is a mite disingenuous. 128x128px is the ideal upload/preview size.
81x81px is the *eventual* display size. Uploading an 81x81px image results in a blocky/blurred preview image.

Cracking work!

Joanna – that’s awesome! We talked about how something like this could totally do wonders for designers. Web app!!

Best,
Dan

Call me overambitious.

-Dan

Ashley says:

Hi Dan, is the version of the cheat sheet posted above the latest? I noticed that it hasn’t been updated since Nov. 2012, and I wasn’t sure if any of the specs have changed since then. Just curious!

Thanks again for sharing this – super helpful!

Best,
Ashley

Hey Ashley,

It’s *quasi* up-to-date. Lots of changes in the past few months (Looking at you, Google+), but an update to the cheat sheet will be coming soon!

Best,
Dan

Ashley says:

Awesome, thanks so much, Dan!

Ernie Mauricio says:

Hi,

I hope you don’t mind if I copy-pasted the article into a neat PDF. Here’s the link:

Of course, all credits go to Dan and LunaMetrics

I am looking for the update as FB changed the Event cover as well and it is weird and awkward if you want to use that same image to promote the event.

Jack Malone says:

Dan, this is a great resource for all marketers. Thanks for sharing!

tiendatle says:

Please update the new dimensions. Thank you very much.

LOVE THIS! I teach social media for Authors and Inventors and having this resource to share with them will be a big help in their learning curve. Thank you so much Dan!

Regards,

Heidi Richards Mooney

Luanne Serafin says:

Awesome! Thank you so much for this.

Emily says:

This is great! Thanks for putting this together.

Em

Tanja says:

THANK you for this. I’m building my husband’s site for his new book–I wish I had this when I was setting up mine by trial and LOTs of Error!

Niaz Morshed says:

Wonderful post – very helpful! Since the Personal Profile design has got a new look in 2013, it would be great if you could update this post to cover that as well. :D

Helena says:

This is brilliant, though I’ve had to favorite the page as I can’t seem to download it. Setting up my facebook page before going live with it so this is coming in very useful. THANK YOU :)

Milon Miah says:

This is fantastic! Thx! Very useful. I will tweet this as well!

Hey Guys, this is really great and useful. As an event promoter it would also be really useful to know the pixel sizes for the event page picture and group pictures etc. Is this possible to update?

Wendy says:

Also looking for an updated version. Hope you can create this anytime soon, because this is a very handy cheat sheet.

Thanks for sharing this! I’m currently look for an updated version too, Wendy. It seems hard to keep up with sometimes.

Matt says:

Great resource, thanks very much! Do you update this on a regular basis?

Also might be helpful would be to include the grid that FB uses for the 20% text rule on timeline images:

Greg says:

Great time saver. Excellent work. Thank you for sharing

Julie says:

Thank you for taking the time to gather this information and thank you for sharing it.

Good idea, Matt. I try and update regularly, but it’s a daunting task sometimes. It is sorely in need of some updates, however.

Greg says:

FANTASTIC, Thanks So much, WOW I can’t believe you took the time to do this. I’m a Fan for life.

Adam says:

Minor edit: Google+ company profile, assume diameter is meant rather than circumference for circular pictures.

Jill says:

Thanks so much for this. I had managed to figure out FB’s cover photo size because I was sick of my photos not looking right.

Still doesn’t explain (not up to you, though) why FB constrains BOTH sides of photos chopping them off and making them look terrible–really how many photos are square! Bad programming on their part. Only have to constrain the horizontal and the vertical would float and the whole picture could then be seen even if it was short (or long). Dumb idea on FB’s part to make them square. JMO.

This chart is truly wonderful. Thanks.

profpb says:

Even WordPress limits it’s files to 4MB.
I guess I’m a perfection fanatic, but it does let me crop the daylights out of my 36MP RAW files.

FB etc. are not my choice of venues, now I know why. Thank you for educating me. I will keep the downloaded information just to remind me.

Lisa Scott says:

Amazing resource. Thanks for sharing your hard work!

Great resource. Thnaks for making it available – but don’t see where I can download it. Copied and pasted to get the info. Will be waiting for the update, when it is published.

Riquez says:

On the G+ sizes you state “circumference” for the round profile pic – this is incorrect, you mean diameter.

Doug says:

This was a great resource but its usefulness is decreasing as it has not been updated in the last 8 months.

Hey Doug,

I did issue a minor update earlier in the year when Google+ rolled out it’s latest redesign for profiles (not newsfeed), but another update is coming.

Best,
Dan

Lori Pierce says:

How about answering a question for us IDIOTS…when I upload to my blog the pic is often HUMONGOUS (sp?) – I don’t even know how to change the pixel (is that the right word?) or photo size in microsoft, to save it to a “blog photos” file I have created, so that I can upload the right size. I know SOMEWHERE up top there are some tabs that allow you to do this but I can’t find them!!!

Thank you for the infographic! Do you embed code for the table above as well as the image?

~Michelle

Calli says:

Thank You! I use this all the time!

That’s fantastic Dan! And it gives me a great idea for an online tool – knowing the sizes to use is one thing but it’s still hassle having to manually twiddle your images to the correct size. What would be cool would be a utility to take your source image and then automatically resize it as required for the platform that you need. Hmm, I may just do this lol!

maggieg says:

Thank you this is Excellent!! Totally agree with Caroline Middlebrook to….

Marcus says:

How do i download?

thue xe cuoi says:

thank you , hihi i think that it very useful

This is great thank you for this.

JeanAnnette Saulsbury says:

This is the Internet @ it’s best. Thank you for sharing.

Am searching high & low for the “official” px of Facebook Event Page Header Images < Would appreciate you incorporating it into your next version. I use this with all my clients!

Charissa says:

What is the benefit of embedding the Cheat Sheet on a website? Does it automatically size the photos then?

Thanks for this informative post!! I know it was written awhile ago so some things have changed or have been added but I love all of the detail you’ve given!
I’m adding it as a source for a blog post at http://justkeepblogging.com
Thanks!
Joanna

Datdamwuf says:

Thank you for this! Can you do the same for dating sites?

mark says:

Centralized at 1 place, briljant! No more searching around… a big time saver. Many thanks, Mark

David says:

Just so you guys know g+ changed it’s cover photo dimensions. 480×270

Also you might want to double check some of the other ones. I think there might be some other recent changes.

Anna says: